dedicated blogsite to Dave Wood's participatory poetry project in Northern Ireland. Started late August and finishing September 2004, it does a compare and contrast with previous visits 1988 - 1998. Also see www.sluggerotoole.com.

22 Sept 2004

(retrospective) poem for attical

(when I arrived at the hostel - i was tired and full with the blood of the city. i sat down outside and almost wept - attical and the cnocnafeola centre gave me peace and chance to gather my thoughts)

mist lifts itself - lifts me from its greyish beard
and across the silver dam the stillness is still 'still'
this weekend - weeping nearly broke from out my head
there was a peace moved in - that fed me to the gills

that moment then - that moment when the tractor passed
i realised the dream had settled - forced me stop
i was losing it - running round in city haste
had stretched me out to dry - now time it sudden drops

this - the thinning mist - lifts me 'wake - with goodbye sun
a yawning world that warms this traveler's passage on
that was attical (slept me down - built me up)
i leave its mountains - rocks and gentle river-run

there was a peace moved in that fed me to the gills
across the silver dam - the stillness is still 'still'

smaointí ar an ionad 'ait tí chathail,' co. an dúin

ardraítear ceo, tógtar mise ó féheasog liath an cheobhráin
agus trasna an locha airgid chím suaimhneas
an deireadh seachtaine seo - deora ar bhruach m'intinne
fuarthas suaimhneas, a chothaigh mé go smior

an uair sin-tarracóir ag dul tharam
thuig mé gur shíothlaigh an bhrionglóid - cuireadh stad dom
mé ar seachrán p I mo shíor-rith fé luas na cathrach
agus mé anois cloíte ciapaithe-titim an ama orm go tobann

ceo éadtrom do mo mhúscailt -grian le slán a fháil
an domban timpeall ar tí mhúscailt-do mo théamh le taisteal a dhéanamh
b'shin áit tí chatail-codladh na hoíche agus cothú an spioraid ionam
imím óna sléibhte a gcarraigeacha agus crónán na habhann

suiimhneas a thug beatha beatha dom go smor
trasna an locha liath - suaimhneas go suaimhneach fós